What one person considers an excellent pet will not suit another as each person has their own preferences. When deciding which pet is best for you, it is important to look at the pros and cons of keeping that animal. You should also consider your likes, your dislikes, your financial situation, and your lifestyle. If you prefer smaller animals, then a gerbil is one option you should think about. Here is some more information about why gerbils make good pets.
What Makes Gerbils Good Pets?
The following are just six of the reasons that gerbils make excellent pets:
- Cute- The cute appearance of gerbils is one of the most appealing features of keeping these animals as pets. If you like small, furry animals, then gerbils are the right pet for you.
- Low-cost- Gerbils cost very little to buy. Once you have bought the equipment they need, they are also cheap to keep. The food they eat and the bedding for their habitat are the two ongoing costs of keeping a gerbil, but these are inexpensive.
- Low-maintenance- Taking care of a gerbil takes just minutes each day. They need feeding daily and you should also remove soiled bedding every day. Other than that, you just need to change all the bedding once a week and clean out their habitat monthly.
- Small habitat- The space available in your home is an important factor when deciding which pet is best-suited to you. Gerbils are a good option if you have limited space as their habitat does not take up too much room.
- No odor- Rodents have a reputation for smelling bad and this deters many people from keeping them as pets. However, gerbils produce hardly any waste as their bodies have evolved to retain as much of the nutrients in their food as possible. This means they do not give your home a bad smell.
- Entertaining- Watching a pair of gerbils chasing each other and playing in their habitat is entertaining.
How Do You Know If Gerbils Are for You?
The most important factor in deciding whether gerbils are the right pet for you is whether you like small, furry animals or not. If you are not a big fan of rodents or if you have a fear of them for any reason, then a gerbil is not a good choice. On the other hand, if you think they small animals are adorable, it makes sense to consider opting for this creature as your next pet.
You should then consider whether you are willing to commit to taking care of these animals. Compared to many other pets, they are easy to care for so they are ideal for people with limited time available, They are also perfect for people with a small home that does not have much room to house pets.
Although gerbils are not suited to everyone, they can make a fantastic pet for many people. They have lots of attributes that make them appealing and these far outweigh any negatives of keeping gerbils as pets.